- In 1713, was fully taken over by the British (St Kitts).
- Begun 1910, the St Kitts Scenic Railway was constructed for the sugar industry, today used as a scenic tour.
- In 1929, Nevis had their first air-mail delivery.
- In 1983, became one independent nation, but each operates its own internal affairs.
- The Islands economy is agriculture, light manufacturing, and tourism.
- During the 19th Century, Nevis is known as "Spa of the Caribbean".
- Birthplace of Alexander Hamilton, first U.S. Secretary of Treasury (Nevis), also where he met his wife, a young widow of a sugarcane plantation owner.
- French Settlers brought green African monkeys, which have multiplied outnumbering the human population.
- St. Kitts' was originally named, Liamuiga (means fertile soil) by the Kallinago Indians.
- Nearly 400 shipwrecks surround St. Kitts and Nevis.
- Taste the island and treat yourself to a CSR & Ting (Cane Spirit Rothschild with local grapefruit). A liquor produced from the remains of sugarcane production roots stemming from South Africa.
- You may enjoy reading: A History of St Kitts (written by Vincent K Hubbard)
- Movie to inspire your travel, Missing in Action 2: The Beginning (1995).
- Of the two islands, Nevis has better beaches.
- It's illegal to wear camouflage clothing!
- Coolest Season: January - February
- Humid & Hottest: June - October
- Peak Season: December - April
- Shoulder Season: May - June
Historical Sites: Berkeley Memorial, Bloody Point, Brimstone Hill, Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park, Independence Square, Milliken Estate, Romney Manor, The Cotton Ginnery and The War Memorial.Museums: International House Museum and Edgar Challenger Library and National Museum.Popular Attractions: Ballast Bay, Basseterre, Carib Breweries, Catholic Church of Immaculate Conception, Christophe Harbour Marina, Fairview Great House & Botanical Gardens, Frigate Bay, Half Way Tree, Mt Liamuiga, Pelican Mall, Royal Beach Casino, St. George's Anglican Church, St. Kitts Scenic Railway, The Strip and White House Bay.Special Events: Booby Island Regatta & Sailing Festival (Late April - Early May, Whitmonday (Spring), Carnival (June), Queen's Birthday (Mid June), Independence Week (Mid September), St Kitts Music Festival and Boxing Day (December 26).
Historical Sites: Alexander Hamilton House andChristena Memorial Plaque.Museums: Horatio Nelson Museum and Museum of Nevis History.Popular Attractions: Cottle Church, Gallipot Tamarind Bay, Montravers EstateNelson's Spring, Nevis Beekeepers Cooperative, Nevisian Heritage Village, Pinney's Beach, St. George’s Anglican Church, St James Winward Church,St John's Fig Tree Church, St Paul's Anglican Church and St Thomas' Lowland Church.Special Events: Booby Island Regatta & Sailing Festival (Late April - Early May), Whitmonday (Spring), Culturama (End of June - Early August), Queen's Birthday (Mid June), Independence Week (Mid September), Gingerama (December) and Boxing Day (December 26).
My industry designation earned as a Caribbean Specialist combined with our local connections with Cruise Lines, Tour Operators, Hotels, Resorts, Airlines, Villa Rental Companies, Adventure Travel providers and Limo companies will offer you Exclusive Benefits that you won't be able to achieve on your own. Such as: Complimentary Breakfast for Two Daily, Dining or Resort Credit, Spa Treatment, Airport Transfer, or other privileges. Even Room Upgrades, Early Check-In and Late Check-Out when available.
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel?
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.