- In 1499, Alonso de Ojeda and Amerigo Vespucci arrived and claimed for Spaniards.
- In 1636, the Dutch took possession of the island.
- In 1863, slaves were emancipated.
- In 1951, the first hotel opened, Hotel Zeebad.
- In 1984, Hilma Hooker, cargo ship was confiscated for 25,000 lbs of marijuana and sank.
- Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) identified around 365 species within their waters.
- An estimated 15,000 Flamingos are counted every year.
- Not a beach resort destination, considering it has few small beaches and not great for walking.
- The entire coastline is declared as a marine sanctuary.
- Spearfishing is prohibited.
- Raised donkeys, goats, pigs and sheep are known to freely roam around.
- Crystal clear waters make for a diver's paradise with visibility to 150 feet.
- More than 185 miles of mountain bike trails and paths.
- Dive gloves are not permitted in effort to protect the coral reefs.
- Vessels moor rather than drop anchor to preserve coral and marine life.
- Coolest Season: January
- Humid & Hottest: May - October
- Peak Season: November - April
- Shoulder Season: May - October
My industry designation earned as a Caribbean Specialist combined with our local connections with Cruise Lines, Tour Operators, Hotels, Resorts, Airlines, Villa Rental Companies, Adventure Travel providers and Limo companies will offer you Exclusive Benefits that you won't be able to achieve on your own. Such as: Complimentary Breakfast for Two Daily, Dining or Resort Credit, Spa Treatment, Airport Transfer, or other privileges. Even Room Upgrades, Early Check-In and Late Check-Out when available.
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel?
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.