- Souvenirs to Buy: Baskets, mask carvings, oil paintings, and wood carvings.
- Local Cuisine to Try: Kachumbari (salad). Kondowole (delicacy). Nthochi (banana bread). Nsima (porridge).
- Local Drink to Try: Chibuku (beer). Kuche Kuche (local beer). Mawehu (unsweetened). Malawi Gin (gin). Thobwa (sweet beer).
- Home to one of the richest lake fish faunas in the world.
- Malawian cannabis "Malawi Gold" is considered the best and finest in the world.
- Relies on imports from China, India, South Africa, Tanzania, USA, and Zambia.
- Elementary schools teach in Chichewa language and even though English is the official language.
- Approximately 250 new HIV/AIDS cases occur daily.
- American Actress, Singer, Songwriter Madonna "Queen of Pop" (Madonna Louise Ciccone) founded nonprofit foundation, Raising Malawi, to help AIDS orphans.
- Annual Events: (April) Manda Wilderness Dug-Out Canoe Race, (May) Malawi Fashion Week, Zomba City Festival, (June) Luwawa International Mount Bike Marathon, (July) Lake Malawi Sailing Marathon, Mulanje Porters Race, (August) Blantyre Arts Festival, Interregional Music Crossroads, Malapenga Dance Season, (September) Lake of Stars Festival, (October) Lake of Stars Festival, Likoma Festival, (November) Blantyre Arts Festival, and Sand Music Festival.
- Holidays: New Year's Day, John Chilembwe Day, Martyrs' Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Labour Day, President Kamuzu Banda's Birthday, Eid al-Fitr, Independence Day, Mother's Day, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day.
- Amongst the world's least-developed countries.
- HIV/AIDS is highly prevalent.
- Diverse population of Asians, Europeans, and natives.
- Child labour and human trafficking is known to occur.
- The Legal age for marriage is 18. Historically, one of the highest rates of child marriage in the world under the age of 15.
- Homosexuality is illegal. Violators are subject to 14 years of hard labor each.
- All currency must be declared upon entry.
- Avoid crowds and public demonstrations.
- Avoid exploring alone or at night.
- Credit cards are not widely accepted.
- Dress modestly.
- Avoid ice cubes, raw fruits, tap water, and vegetables.
- Prevalent diseases: HIV, Malaria, Schistosomiasis, and Tuberculosis.
- During Rainy Season most roads are impassable (November - April).
- Roadblocks are common. Fines are paid on the spot. Obtain a receipt.
- A valid passport with six months of validity upon return and one blank page for entry stamp.
- Tourist VISA required.
- Yellow Fever vaccination.
- Currency Restrictions Exit: $3,000.
- Best Time to Visit: May - October
- Coolest Months: June - August
- Hottest Months: September - November
- Peak Season: May - August
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Chongoni Rock Art Area and Lake Malawi National Park
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel?
Your one stop source: Accommodations I Air I Car Rentals I Cruises I Disney I Excursions I Tours I Transfers I Travel Insurance I Villa Rentals
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.
Post a Comment