United States of America Flag
Why visit the United States of America?
Best known for amusement parks, beaches, birdwatching, boating, camping, canyons, celebrities, fishing, hiking, history, horseback riding, lakes, national parks, races, rivers, shopping, skiing, snowboarding, spectator sports, surfing, theatre, vineyards, water sports, white water rafting, and wildlife.
Statue of Liberty, New York, NY. Photo Credit: Tom Kranz/Pixabay
At a Glance
- Souvenirs to Buy: Amish crafts, American Dolls, barbecue sauce, chocolates, Disney goods, kachina dolls, NASA goods, petoskey stones, Route 66 memorabilia, turquoise gemstone, and wine.
- Local Cuisine to Try: Apple Pie (dessert). Burgoo (stew). Chicago Pizza. Corn Dog. Grits. Fried Cheese Curds. Maryland Crab Cakes. Maine Lobster Roll. Moon Pie (snack). New England Clam Chowder. New York Pizza. Philly Cheesesteak. Primanti Sandwich. Scrapple (breakfast side). Twinkies (snack). Virginia Oysters.
- Local Drink to Try: Ale-8-One (soft drink). Birch Beer (soft drink). Boost (fruity), Cheerwine (cherry soft drink). Date Shake (milkshake). Dr Enuf (soft drink). Faygo (soft drink). Green River (soft drink). Hurricane (cocktail). Kona Coffee. Kool Aid (sweet). Manhattan (cocktail). Old-Fashioned (cocktail). Pink Lady (cocktail). Sazerac (cocktail). Ski (soft drink). Southern Comfort (whiskey). Tennessee Whiskey. Vernors (ginger soda).
The White House, Washington, DC. Photo Credit: David Mark/Pixabay
- Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site (Collinsville, IL) is of the pre-Columbian Native American city dating back to 1050C - 1350C.
- In 1493, the late Christopher Columbus (1451 - 1506), Italian Explorer & Navigator arrived in Puerto Rico.
- In 1513, Juan Ponce de León (1474 - 1521), Spanish Explorer arrived in Florida.
- Late Louis (aka: Pops, Satch, Satchmo) Daniel Armstrong (1901 - 1971), American Trumpeter & Vocalist is considered one of the most jazz figures.
- In 1917, the US Virgin Islands was purchased from Denmark.
- Birthplace (Tupelo, MS) of the late Elvis Aaron Presley (1935 - 1977), Actor & Singer pioneered rock music and considered "King of Rock & Roll".
- Battle of Leyte Gulf (1944) was the largest navy battle (with Japan).
- On September 11, 2001, terrorist hijackers flew commercial passenger planes into the World Trade Center (NYC) and the Pentagon (DC).
- Los Angeles (CA) will host the 2028 Summer Olympics.
- Consists of 50 states, a federal district, 5 major unincorporated territories, and 9 Minor Outlying Islands.
- Has 326 Indian reservations.
- Association with 3 Pacific Island sovereign states: Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau.
- World's 3rd largest country.
- Most populous country in the Americas.
- Ranks the 3rd most populous in the world.
- New York City (NY) is the Financial Center.
- Largest importer in the world.
- Ranks as 2nd largest exporter.
- The 5 unincorporated territories include: American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Denali is the highest peak in the country and in North America.
- Active volcanoes exist in Alexander (Alaska), Aleutian Islands (Alaska), and Hawaii.
- Has the 2nd largest prison population in the world.
- Has 63 national parks.
- Port of Los Angeles is the busiest across the nation.
- Hollywood (Los Angeles, CA) is the most recognizable movie industry in the world.
- Aerosmith (Boston, MA), Eagles (Los Angeles, CA), and Metallica (Los Angeles, CA) rock bands have ranked as the highest grossed globally.
United States Capitol Building, Washington, DC. Photo Credit: cytis/Pixabay
- Annual Largest Events: (January) Soulard Mardi Gras, Sundance Film Festival, (February) Mardi Gras, Strolling of the Heifers Parade & Festival, Super Bowl Sunday, (March) Daytona Bike Week, International Cherry Blossom Festival, SXSW, (April) Boston Marathon, Coachella, Masters Golf Tournament, New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, (May) BottleRock Music Festival, EDC Musical Festival, Kentucky Derby, Lantern Floating Hawaii, Miami Formula One Grand Prix, (June) Boise Music Festival, Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, Electric Forest, Firefly Music Festival, Hoopfest, Laconia Motorcycle Week, Nebraskaland Days, Pride New York, San Francisco Pride, Summerfest, Tennessee Riverbend Festival, Wichita Riverfest, (July) Artscape, Comic-Con International, Evel Knievel Days, Indiana State Fair, Little Rock Riverfest, Newport Folk Festival, North Dakota State Fair, Oregon Brewers Fest, Seward Mouth Marathon, Taste of Chicago, Upper Ohio Valley Italian Heritage Festival, (August) Atlantic City Thunder, Burning Man Festival, Lollapalooza, Musikfest, Snowbird’s Oktoberfest, Sturgis, Wyoming State Fair, (September) Detroit Jazz Festival, Great American Beer Fest , Iowa State Fair, Maine Lobster Festival, Minnesota State Fair, Neptune Festival, Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, US Open Tennis Championships, (October) Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, Austin City Limits Music Festival ,Barbecue Festival, Linde Oktoberfest Tulsa, Mississippi State Fair, South Carolina State Fair, and (December) New Year’s Eve in Times Square.
- Holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King’s Birthday,Washington’s Birthday,Memorial Day,Juneteenth National Independence Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
The Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. Photo Credit: Azael Pitti/Pixabay
Good to Know
- Has no official language but English is the primary language. Indigenous languages Carolinian & Chamorro (Northern Mariana Islands), Chamorro (Guam), Hawaiian (Hawaii), Samoan (American Samoa), Sioux (South Dakota), Spanish (Puerto Rico), and 20 varies languages in Alaska.
- Caribbean territories, Florida, and Hawaii are tropical climates.
- States bordering the Gulf of Mexico are prone to Hurricanes (June - November).
- Tornado Alley impacts Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Texas.
- The Bible Belt consists of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
- Largest metropolitan cities are Atlanta (GA), Baltimore (MD), Boston (MA), Chicago (IL), Dallas (TX), Denver (CO), Detroit (MI), Houston (TX), Los Angeles (CA), Miami (FL), New York (NY), Philadelphia (PA), Phoenix (AZ), San Diego (CA), San Francisco (CA), Seattle (WA), Tampa (FL), and Washington (DC).
- Manhattan (NY) is a hub for Broadway shows.
United States of America Map of States
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel?
Your one stop source: Accommodations I Air I Car Rentals I Cruises I Disney I Excursions I Tours I Transfers I Travel Insurance I Villa Rentals
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" ~ Saint Augustine
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.