- In 1789, slavery was abolished. Former slave, Toussaint Louverture crowned himself King Henri Christophe I.
- In 1802, Napoleon sent troops to retake the island. Captured by the French, Louverture was taken to France for trial.
- In 1803, Louverture died of exposure and TB.
- In 1804, the first Caribbean country to gain their freedom.
- In 1914, British, German, and U.S. entered forces, the U.S. Marines stationed until 1934.
- In 1957, Francois Duvalier (Papa Doc) was elected president. Upon his death his son, Jean Claude (Baby Doc) was the predecenter.
- In 1886, Jean Claude (Baby Doc) was driven out of the country. Seeking refuge in France.
- During 1980, Jean Aristide, President was thrown out of power by the military.
- Late 1994, the U.S. forced the military to give up power and stayed to help the country establish order.
- Voodoo is a highly developed ritual estimating nearly half the population practice: elements of magic, dance, music and drumming. Open ceremony consisting of three drums: boula, mamman and segon.
- The flavor to Grand Marnier and Cointreau liquors is sun drying orange peels.
- Rhum Barbancourt Distilleries use sugarcane juice instead of molasses.
- Birthplace to Wyclef Jean, the leader of the U.S. music group, Fugees.
One of the highest unemployment rates in the Western Hemisphere (around 70%), its people are known for their work ethic and were instrumental in the building of the Panama Canal.
Labadee, is Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines private beach on the northeast coast.
- Political upheavals and natural disasters have kept them off of Tourism mainstream.
- Tropical storms with floods and mudslides have killed many locals.
- Literacy levels are low, around 50%.
- The best beaches are on the South Coast along the Southern Peninsula and North Coast. Otherwise, dark volcanic sand.
- Celebrations & Events: Carnival, Haitian Independence Day (January) and Saint Day Observances.
- To inspire you, read: Lydia Bailey (1947), The Comedians (1966)
- Movies that may inspire you: The Comedians (1967).
- Prone to beggars, frequent delays, poor roads and power outages.
(pronounced doo-doo) means Sweetheart in Creole.
Don't expect world-class snorkeling and scuba diving, as the country's reefs have been devastated by overfishing.
- Coolest Season: December
- Humid & Hottest: August
Peak Season: November - March
- Shoulder Season: April - June
My industry designation earned as a Caribbean Specialist combined with our local connections with Cruise Lines, Tour Operators, Hotels, Resorts, Airlines, Villa Rental Companies, Adventure Travel providers and Limo companies will offer you Exclusive Benefits that you won't be able to achieve on your own. Such as: Complimentary Breakfast for Two Daily, Dining or Resort Credit, Spa Treatment, Airport Transfer, or other privileges. Even Room Upgrades, Early Check-In and Late Check-Out when available.
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel ?
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.