- Souvenirs to Buy: Blankets, indigo cloth, leather goods, multicolored beads, pottery, and wood carvings.
- Local Cuisine to Try: Alabadja (meat dish). Bouille (dessert). Jollof Rice. Maafe (peanut stew). Tiguadege Na (national dish).
- Local Drink to Try: Djablani (ginger juice). Malian Tea.
- Eighth largest West African country.
- French is the official language. Over 40 African languages also are spoken throughout.
- The country's economy revolves around agriculture and mining.
- Africa's third largest producer of gold.
- Folklore says the Sundiata Keita (1190-1255), First Emperor changed himself into a hippopotamus upon his death (Sankarani River).
- Amongst one of the hottest countries in the world.
- Culturally, married women are blamed for their spouses appearance and misbehaved children.
- Children play with bundles of rags shaped like a ball.
- Annual Events: (January) Gouin Festival, (February) Desert Festival,
Diamwari Festival, Segou Festival, (March) Daoula-Ba Festival, (April) Dogon Mask Festival, and (June) International Rails Festival.
- Holidays: New Year's Day, Armed Forces Day, Martyrs' Day, Easter Monday, Workers' Day, Africa Day, Independence Day, Christmas Day, Mawlid, Prophet's Baptism, Korité, and Tabaski.
- Slavery remains in practice.
- The Rainy Season is April - October.
- Prone to droughts.
- Largely exports cotton.
- High rate of child malnutrition.
- Gender inequality exists.
- Terrorists groups are prevelant.
- Kidnapping of tourists is a known concern.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- ATM's are not widely available.
- Child marriage is practiced.
- Medication, medical facilities and treatment is very limited.
- Prevalent diseases: Malaria, Rabies, Meningococcal Meningitis, and Yellow Fever.
- A valid passport and one blank page for entry stamp.
- Tourist VISA required.
- Yellow Fever vaccination required.
- Best Time to Visit: November - February
- Coolest Months: November - February
- Hottest Months: March - May
- Peak Season: August - September
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Old Towns of Djenné, Timbuktu, and Tomb of Askia.
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel?
Your one stop source: Accommodations I Air I Car Rentals I Cruises I Disney I Excursions I Tours I Transfers I Travel Insurance I Villa Rentals
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.
Post a Comment