- Souvenirs to Buy: Baskets, ceramics, coffee, football jersey, footwear, jewelry, leather goods, pottery, swimsuits and woven hammocks.
- Local Cuisine to Try: Brigadeiros (chocolate fudge balls). Cocada (coconut candy). Feijoada (stew). Moqueca (seafood stew).
- Local Drink to Try: Cachaça (liquor). Caipirinha (cocktail).
- From 6000BC in the Amazon basin pottery has been found.
- During 16th Century (1501-1600), a large cane sugar exporter.
- From 1500-1800, received over 2.8 million slaves from Africa for sugarcane crops.
- During 1690s, Gold Rush started.
- Until 1808, was a Portuguese Colony.
- In 1822, became independent.
- In 1865, their last invasion (Paraguayan War).
- In 1888, slavery abolished.
- In 2002, received a $30.4 billion rescue package.
- In 2014, hosted FIFA World Cup.
- In 2016 , hosted Olympic Games.
- Largest country in both Latin and South America. Fifth largest country in the world.
- Only nation to win the FIFA World Cup five times, ranked among the best in the world.
- Largest producer of coffee, oranges, soybeans and sugarcane.
- A pioneer finder for oil in deep waters.
- Only country in the world with the equator and Tropic of Capricorn.
- Has the largest armed forces amongst Latin America.
- World's largest exporter of chicken meat.
- Well known for precious stones: agate, amethyst, aquamarine, emerald, garnet, tourmaline and topaz.
- Fourth largest car market in the world.
- Approximately 20 million passengers pass through (Guarulhos) São Paulo–Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) annually.
- Bolivia and Paraguay have been granted free ports (Santos).
- Annual Events: (January) Three Kings Festival, Washing of the Steps of Bonfim Church, (February) Carnaval, Celebration of Yemanjá the Goddess of the Sea, (June) Bauernfest, Bumba-meu-boi, Festas Juninas, (July) Festa Literária Internacional de Paraty (FLIP), (September) Film Festival Rio BR, (October) Cirio of Nazaré, Grand Prix, International Film Festival, Jazz Festival, São Paulo Bienal, (November) Aleijadinho Week and (December) Santa Barbara.
- Holidays: New Year's Day, Tiradentes, Labour Day, Independence of Brazil, Our Lady of Aparecida, All Souls' Day, Proclamation of the Republic and Christmas.
- Portuguese is the official language.
- Gold is usually in 18K.
- Has four time zones.
- Crime and theft are common in airports, bus stations and cities.
- Zika virus is present.
- Offers free health service available to all. Health insurance or self pay offer premium care.
- Always carry a photocopy of your passport for citizenship proof.
- Birdwatching is usually best between July - September.
- Amazon Region is best July - August.
- A valid passport and one blank page for entry stamp.
- Tourist VISA not required.
- Currency Restrictions for Entry/Exit: $10,000BR.
- Best Time to Visit: March - November
- Coldest Month: June
- Hottest Month: January
- Peak Season: December - March
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Atlantic Forest South-East Reserves, Brasília, Brazilian Atlantic Islands: Fernando de Noronha and Atol das Rocas Reserves, Central Amazon Conservation Complex, Cerrado Protected Areas: Chapada dos Veadeiros and Emas National Parks, Discovery Coast Atlantic Forest Reserves, Historic Centre of Salvador de Bahia, Historic Centre of São Luís, Historic Centre of the Town of Diamantina, Historic Centre of the Town of Goiás, Historic Centre of the Town of Olinda, Historic Town of Ouro Preto, Iguaçu National Park, Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis: San Ignacio Miní, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto and Santa María Mayor (Argentina), Ruins of São Miguel das Missões (Brazil), Pampulha Modern Ensemble, Pantanal Conservation Area, Paraty, and Ilha Grande - Culture and Biodiversity, Rio de Janeiro: Carioca Landscapes Between the Mountain and the Sea, Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Congonhas, São Francisco Square in the Town of São Cristóvão, Serra da Capivara National Park and Valongo Wharf Archaeological Site.
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel?
Your one stop source: Accommodations I Air I Car Rentals I Cruises I Disney I Excursions I Tours I Transfers I Travel Insurance I Villa Rentals
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.
Post a Comment