- In 1493, spotted by Christopher Columbus.
- In 1632, European settlers arrived from St Kitts.
- In 1783, became a British Crown Colony.
- In 1960, choose to remain a colony even after Englands' statehood offering.
- In 1989, Hurricane Hugo damaged more than 90% of the island.
- On July 18, 1995, the capital city, Plymouth was destroyed by Soufriere Hills Volcano after being dormant for centuries.
- In 1998, granted full residency rights in the United Kingdom (UK).
- Since 1998, there have been two capitals, "official" in Plymouth and the "operating" one in Blades.
- In 2002, British citizenship was granted.
- Financially supported by the British government, supplemental income derives by custom duties, fees, and taxes.
- Air Studios Montserrat was opened by former Beatles producer George Martin for famous artists to relax and record on the island. Used by famous artists like Dire Straits, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, and Stevie Wonder.
- Birthplace of songwriter, Alphonsus "Arrow" Cassell. His all-time hit, Hot, Hot, Hot.
- On the island's northwest tip, a new tourist attraction capital is being built and due to open by 2021.
- Visitors are not permitted on the southern half of the island deemed "exclusion zone" area.
- No four-lane roads, international chain stores, neon signs, or traffic lights.
- Said to resemble coastal Ireland. Also, known for their Irish folk culture, shamrock decorations, Irish names, and Irish step dance.
- Much of the southern end of the island is uninhabitable.
- Legend says anyone drinking the spring water from Runaway Ghaut Fountain will be drawn to repeatedly return to the island.
- Buses can be irregular and considered unreliable.
- Ferry from Antigua arrives at Port Little Bay (island north).
- You may be interested to read, Living with the Unexpected (written by A.K. Possekel).
- There are only two gas stations on the island.
- Coolest Season: January
- Humid & Hottest: July - November
- Peak Season: December - June
Historical Sites: PlymouthMuseums: Montserrat National TrustPopular Attractions: Bat Cave, Bunkum Bay Beach, Brades, Carr's Bay, Center Hills, Falmouth Harbor, Garibaldi Hill, Let's Go Limin Rumshop, Little Bay, Montserrat National Trust’s Botanical Garden, Old Road Bay Beach, Oriole Walkway Trail, Rendezvous Bay, Runaway Ghaut, Silver Hill, St George Hill, The Cot, WoodlandsSpecial Events:Calabash (July), Cudjoe Head (Early July-Early August), Open Fishing Tournament (October), Alliouagana Festival (November), Carnival (December) and Festival Day (December).
My industry designation earned as a Caribbean Specialist combined with our local connections with Cruise Lines, Tour Operators, Hotels, Resorts, Airlines, Villa Rental Companies, Adventure Travel providers, and Limo companies will offer you Exclusive Benefits that you won't be able to achieve on your own. Such as Complimentary Breakfast for Two Daily, Dining or Resort Credit, Spa Treatment, Airport Transfer, or other privileges. Even Room Upgrades, Early Check-In, and Late Check-Out when available.
Ready to embark on custom and personalized services, your journey begins with Louvet Travel?
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.